Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dutch Baby


Hello and Welcome!

I've been thinking of creating a blog for a while now to share some delicious recipes and discoveries with friends and I found the right opportunity when I was stuck in DIA for close to 10 hours coming from NY and waiting for E to arrive from Chicago so we could drive home to start our new lives together.

So I sat and thought about my latest favourite breakfast item The Dutch Baby! which I made for my sister & family visitng a few weeks ago. I came across this puffy delight a few months ago while having brunch at the Original Pancake House in Boulder. When I saw the waiters walking around with this puffy baked and delicious smelling thing I of course had to have some. After scarfing it down I knew it had to be simple to make thus begin my quest for the recipe. I cannot remember where I found the original recipe from but have since modified it and it is very similar to a Yorkshire pudding. All I can say is that my sister's family loves it and it's absolutely delicious and the results is a terrific presentation and even more divine that it doesn't take much effort to make and it does make the house smell gorgeous! I encourage you to try.


Dutch Baby

4 Large Eggs
1/2 C White Spelt Flour or AP Flour
( I've managed to successfully sub a lot of my recipes due to my wheat allergies with Spelt )
Pinch of Salt
1/2 C Milk
3 tbsp butter - can be less - 2 tbsp
1/3 C brown sugar
Sprinkle of Nutmeg and/or cinnamon
2 apples/pears
A cast iron skillet is best but I've been most successful with a pie dish.

Lightly beat eggs and milk and to this add 1 tbsp of the brown sugar.
Stir in flour and salt until smooth
Heat skillet or pie dish and melt butter in 425˚ oven about 5 mins.
Slice apples/pear about 1/4" thick and stir brown sugar in and sprinkle some nutmeg
Heap the sliced pears/apples in the center of the hot skillet/pie dish
Pour batter over sliced apple/pear. Additionally you can sprinkle a tablespoon of brown sugar and spices over.
Immediately bake for 20-25 mins until puffed and golden.


0 comments:

About This Blog

About This Blog