Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Appenzeller Biberli


After getting caught in a few nostalgic baking moments, I was determined to get back on track with another typical Swiss Christmas treat. These cookies called Appenzeller Biberli is translated as "Appenzell filled beavers" hailing from the canton of St. Gallen in Switzerland. Not the most wholesome sounding name translated into the English language; neither are they the prettiest looking but regardless of what anyone thinks, I like them because they simply are very very good to eat! Did I mention the oozing almond filling is also spiked with a splash of Kirsch?


Reading through the recipe I knew that it would be a tasty treat to make especially since I have a fondness for almonds and better yet it is deliciously wrapped by a honey gingerbread dough which is soft, tender and chewy. Despite the lengthy instructions, I found it very easy to put together. This is a another Nick Malgieri recipe and if you happen to have the recipe and feeling adventurous to try it, don't over bake it like I did my first batch or it will be a little on the chewy side.


8 comments:

MrsFarmer May 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

Would you please email the recipe for the Appenzeller Biberli?

My boyfriend's family is originally from Switzerland and I would love to make them for them!

Sze Lin June 2, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

Hi Melinska,

I hope you are not in a hurry as I am currently very busy which explains the lack of activity. I will email you the recipe. These are really good. Just don't over bake them like I did my first batch otherwise they are like jawbreakers. They must be kept in an airtight container and if they start to get chewy just place a slice of apple in the container and they will soften up.

MrsFarmer June 2, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

Thank you so much, Sze Lin! I'm not in a hurry and will appreciate whenever you can send the recipe!

Have you ever heard of or tried making the filling with hazelnuts? My boyfriend's mom said that is the kind of nut they are used to seeing used...and when I bought some when I was in Switzerland recently, I'm pretty sure the filling was hazelnut.

Thanks again for your help!

Anonymous January 23, 2014 at 4:12 AM  

Hello Sze Lin, could you, please, email me your recept for Appenzeller biberli as well?
Thank you very much in advance,
marketa
marketa.fukova@seznam.cz

Anonymous September 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM  

Hi

Can you please send me the Appenzeller Biberli recipe.

Thanks

Lizanne

lizanne_jooste@yahoo.co.uk

Anonymous November 6, 2016 at 5:20 AM  

Hello Sze Lin,

I would love to have your recipe! Can you post it online? Do you have an e-maill address?

A dear friend was born in Sweden and she made me discover theses amazing treats!! It's nowhere to be found in Canada/Quebec! Every year or so, she'll send me one small package - it's so delectable!

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous November 19, 2016 at 8:32 PM  

I also would love the recipe as have a Swiss friend who just ate his last cookie from back home.
Laurasc07@gmail.com

thalita November 21, 2019 at 3:30 PM  

i've been in Switzerland and I tried it and I'm missing it because we don't have where I live... so do you mind send me the recipe? I would love to cook and try it again. thanks

thalitalopesilva@gmail.com

About This Blog

About This Blog