Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Berner Hasselnuss Staengeli

Swiss Hazelnut Bar Cookies from Berne.


I am not sure if these cookies are considered traditional Christmas cookies in Switzerland but it sparked my interest with it's all nut ingredient, simple components and method. These cookies were a delight to bake. It took no time to mix up with little fuss. The ingredients just consist of sugar, hazelnuts meal ( husk and all!), lemon zest, cinnamon and egg whites. Everything is just mixed together and the result is a delicious slightly chewy cookie with a crunch. I am tempted to dip these in some melted chocolate which I think would make it more divine.


In due respect to Nick Malgieri and copyright concerns I am afraid I am not able to post the recipe here. However I'll be happy to share them with you. Just leave me a message and I will email it to you. I highly recommend getting the book by Nick Malgieri - Cookies Unlimited from where this recipe came from. This book is chocked full of delicious cookies and a great addition to your cook book collection.


Edited by Sze Lin December 20

Yesterday, I kindly received the privilege to share this recipe from the author himself. Thank you Mr. Malgieri.

Berner Hasselnuss Staengeli
Swiss Hazelnut Bars from Berne
as written from Cookies Unlimited by kind permission from Nick Malgieri pg. 119

This is a typically Swiss recipe shared by my friend, cooking teacher and caterer Thea Cvijanovich. Thea was born in Berne, Switzerland, and this recipe is like many from the region. Though I don't think these were originally made without flour for religious reasons, they make a great Passover cookie.

Makes about 48 cookies

4 1/2 cups ( about 18 ounces) whole unblanced hazelnuts
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for rolling out the dough
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 large egg whites ( a little more than 1/2 cup)

2 cookie sheets or jelly roll pans covered with parchment or foil

  1. In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the hazelnuts and half the sugar. Pulse repeatedly at 1-second intervals until finely ground. Add the lemon zest and cinnamon and pulse again.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites to break them up. Whisk in the remaining sugar in a steam. Add the hazelnut mixture and with a large rubber spatula combine the ingredients to form a very firm dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside to let the dough mature for about 30 minutes. (This resting time is to get all the sugar melted so the dough doesn't change consistency while it is being rolled or baked.)
  3. When you are ready to bake the cookies, set racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
  4. Scatter granulated sugar on a work surface and scrape the dough onto it. Use the palm of your hand to flatten the dough and scatter sugar over it. Roll out and press the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick – it should make a 12-inch square. Using a ruler for accuracy, cut the dough into 1-inch wide strips. Then cut across at 3-inch intervals to make 48 cookies.
  5. Transfer the cookies to the prepared pans, leaving about an inch all around each. Bake the cookies for about 15 to 20 minutes, until they are slightly puffed but still soft to the touch of a fingertip. Cool on the pans on racks.
  6. Store the cooled cookies between sheets of parchment or wax paper in a tin or plastic container with a tight-fitting cover.

7 comments:

camille December 17, 2009 at 12:38 AM  

can you email me the recipe?
camilleean@gmail.com

Alexandra December 17, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

Oh these look so delicious... You can see a little bit of lemon zest in the details, too, which makes it EVEN MORE awesome.

Anonymous December 17, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

I would really love the recipe. My mom can only eat gluten free foods and i try to send her a great selection of recipes to try. These look fabulous. Thank you for your help.

tscampion@everestkc.net

Sze Lin December 17, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

Thanks for visiting. I will email the recipe this weekend as I am rushing trying to get through my baking list! and packing them to be mailed.

EMİNE December 18, 2009 at 4:48 AM  

The cookies looks so delicious and ı wonder the cookies recipe.Could you send my email adres to the recipe.Please:)
emineakmaninci@gmail.com

Unknown December 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

I would love these two recipes. both my kids are gluten free and they just love nuts.

Unknown December 18, 2009 at 8:16 PM  

I would love these two recipes. both my kids are gluten free and they just love nuts.

dave@theconsultant.net

About This Blog

About This Blog